What is anti-social behaviour?

Lots of anti-social behaviour – such as violence, theft, vandalism, or harassment – is also a criminal act and should be reported to the police in the first instance.

If it’s an emergency call 999, otherwise call 101 or report via your local police force’s website.

You can report anti-social behaviour to Incommunities in a variety of ways:

What is ASB?

Communal nuisance Communal nuisance

This includes things like disturbances by groups and ball games causing damage. If you are concerned about your immediate safety, you should report this to the police in the first instance.


Criminal behaviour Criminal behaviour

Criminal acts such as arson, theft, harassment, burglary and acts of violence are also types of anti-social behaviour.

We work collaboratively with local police and community support teams to help ensure the communities where we have homes are safe places to live – please firstly report criminal behaviour to the police.

Cuckooing Cuckooing

Cuckooing is when a drug dealer or a gang takes over an address for criminal purposes, usually as a place to supply, store, or produce drugs. Gangs will often exploit a vulnerable person and use their property for criminal activity to try and avoid police detection.

If you know someone who is being cuckooed, contact the police. If you are a victim of cuckooing, support is available – please tell us, the police, or a friend or family member.

Electricity theft Electricity theft (metre bypass)

Electricity theft is a criminal offence and can be dangerous.
If you believe a neighbour is bypassing an electricity metre, please report this to us.


Domestic abuse Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is a crime and affects the quality of life of the victim, their family and their friends. At Incommunities we firmly believe everyone has a right to live safely in their home, free from any form of abuse. Find out more about the local and national support resources available for people impacted by domestic abuse on our Domestic Abuse page.

Drug use Drug use and dealing

Drug-related incidents including dealing, possession with intent, cultivation, and persistent drug fuelled behaviour are a criminal act and should be reported to the police before contacting us.  We can then decide on the action to be taken as a landlord.


Hate crime Hate crime

Hate crime is criminal behaviour motivated by hostility to the victim’s age, gender, disability, race, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity or sub-culture. It can take many forms including verbal abuse, threats of violence and physical attacks. If you are in immediate danger, firstly call 999 to report to the police. Call 101 or report  non-emergency incidents online.

Noise Noise

Whilst we would not count noises such as footsteps, doors closing and children playing as ASB, we know excessive noise at any time including continual loud television or music, can be distressing. We would expect you to speak to your neighbour before contacting us.

The free Noise App is an easy way to record and report noise incidents. The app is available for iOS and Android phones and tablets and we can use these recordings as evidence.

Vandalism Vandalism

Vandalism includes property or vehicle damage, as well graffiti. For vandalism to things like public buildings, benches and bins, please report to your local authority. Photos can be helpful when reporting vandalism.

What is not ASB? 

Behaviour which wouldn’t necessarily be considered as ASB includes:

  • Parking issues on a public highway – If parking issues are on a public road and cannot be resolved after speaking with your neighbour, please report this to your local authority.
  • One-off parties (unless serious in nature)
  • Dogs barking – at reasonable levels for short periods. If you have serious concerns about animal welfare, please contact the RSPCA.
  •  Children playing
  • Lifestyle/personal disputes

There are also some environmental concerns that, whilst we wouldn’t class these as ASB, you’d like to report to us to help keep your community a safe and comfortable place. You can report unkept gardens, fly tipping and hoarding to our customer services team on 0330 175 9540 or enquiry@incommunities.co.uk.