Benefits can be a minefield. Knowing what you’re entitled to claim, whether it’s going to be backdated, what happens if you’re overpaid or underpaid – this can all be very confusing. 

Well, we’re here to help. Our team are experts when it comes to helping our customer getting the benefits that they’re entitled to. 

If you would like us to review your benefits, then contact us today on 0330 175 9540, email at  or fill in the form.

Finding out what benefits you’re entitled to  

We can help you to find out what benefits you’re entitled to. But if you would like to have a look at one of the online tools that can also provide you with some information about your entitlement, there are few different options available: 

Managed migration to Universal Credit 

Universal Credit is replacing 6 benefits called ‘legacy benefits’. These are:  

  • Housing Benefit 
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) 
  • Child Tax Credits (CTC)  
  • Working Tax Credits (WTC) 
  • Income Support 

You can’t usually make a new claim for these benefits.  

If you already get one of them, you’ll have to move onto Universal Credit by 2029. You can stay on them for now, unless: 

  • You get a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) telling you to claim Universal Credit by a certain date. This will be called a ‘Migration notice’. 
  • Your situation changes in certain ways - for example, you might need to claim Universal Credit if you’ve separated from a partner or moved to a different council area. 

If you have any questions about the migration to Universal Credit, you can call the Migration Notice helpline on, 0800 169 0328. 

For more information on the migration to Universal Credit, visit the UK Government Website

Change of circumstances 

If things change in your life, such as getting a job, children leaving education, a new partner moving in or a death in the family; these types of changes could have an impact on your benefits and tenancy. 

You will need to report any change in circumstances on the Government website, Universal Credit change of circumstances, PIP Change of circumstances

You’ll also need to let us know about your change in circumstances. You can call us on 0330 175 9540 or complete the form on the My Tenancy page


Benefits in a snapshot

There are so many different types of benefits, we thought it would be helpful to give you a short overview of each one and a link for more information if you would like it. 

Click on the title below to find out more about each type of benefit. 


Universal Credit

This is paid to some people who are on low income, out of work or cannot work. It’s paid on a monthly basis. For more information about Universal Credit, how to claim it and what the payments are, visit the Universal Credit website


The state pension is paid to some people at retirement age. You can find out when you can start claiming the state pension, how much you’re likely to get and how it will be paid to you on the Money Helper website 

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. Housing benefit is now being replaced by Universal Credit, so new claims are only being considered if you have reached State Pension age and/or you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing. For more information on Housing Benefit, please visit the Housing Benefit website.

Bedroom Tax

If you have a spare bedroom and you’re renting a council or housing association property, your Housing Benefit, or housing costs element of Universal Credit, might be reduced. This is often referred to as the ‘Bedroom Tax’ – or the ‘under-occupation penalty’ or ‘removal of the spare room subsidy’. 

For more information, and to find out if the bedroom tax affects you, visit the Money Helper website.

Personal Independence Payments

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability, plus difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition. You can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits. 

For more information about PIP visit the PIP website – for help claiming PIP visit the Equality Together website

Child Benefit

If you’re responsible for bringing up a child under the age of 16, or under 20 and still in formal education, then you may be entitled to a monthly Child Benefit payment. 

For more information about how to apply, the amount of the payment and when it’s paid, visit the Child Benefit website.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a monthly payment for people with a disability severe enough that they need someone to help look after them. 

To find out if you could qualify for this and how much you may be entitled to, visit the Attendance Allowance website.

Carers Allowance

You could get £76.75 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. 

You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person. If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance. 

For more information about carers allowance, visit the Carers Allowance website.

Council Tax support

More information about Council Tax support and guidance 

Benefit Cap

If you’re over 16 and under State Pension age, there might be a limit on the total amount of benefits your household can get. This is called the benefit cap. 

More information about the Benefit Cap is available on the Money Helper website