Home Alterations

Tenant in her Incommunities home


To make your house a home, you might want to make changes or do some DIY - but it's important you don't start any work without talking to us first and getting written permission.

We're happy for you to make minor changes (like decorating, changing carpets or putting up shelves) without our permission. For anything else, you'll need to let us know what you want to do and ask us for permission before you begin.

Tenants can make some alterations to their homes provided certain conditions are met. If you wish to make improvements, you will need to tell us in detail what you wish to do and supply us with any relevant documentation (eg your contractor’s quotation detailing exactly the proposed alteration).


Typical alterations you must get approval for are:

  • CCTV
  • Satellite dishes
  • Sheds/any garden structure
  • Driveways/Garages.
  • Fencing/decking
  • Altering a kitchen or bathroom
  • Installing a stairlift
  • Any alteration to the properties electrical system. Eg an outdoor socket.

We want you to enjoy living in one of our homes - so we won't say no to home alterations unless we have a good reason.

If you don't get our written permission we may ask you to return the property to its original state. You'll have to pay for this work. If you do not do this, we may ask a court to give us an injunction to enter your home to remove the alterations and you will be charged for all costs we incur.


For further information on what alterations we may and may not consider download our  Home Alterations - Permissions Customer Fact Sheet.pdf


How to ask for permission

Please contact us on telephone 0330 175 9540  or email us  enquiry@incommunities.co.uk  first to discuss your plans. We'll ask for full details of what you'd like to do. We'll either give you permission subject to varying conditions or let you know why you can't make the changes.



Home Alterations FAQs

  • Do I need to ask you before making any home improvements? Yes