What is Bedroom Tax / Spare room subsidy?

What is the spare room subsidy or ‘bedroom tax’? 

Working age tenants who receive Housing Benefit and live in accommodation which is considered to be too large for them will be paid less Housing Benefit. This means they will have to make up the rental shortfall themselves.bt

 Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing cost element rules allow:

  • one bedroom for each adult or couple living as part of the household
  • a child under the age of 16 is expected to share with another of the same gender
  • children under the age of 10 are expected to share with another child regardless of gender
  • a bedroom for a non-resident carer is allowed where they provide overnight care

It means families with two children under the age of 10 living in a three-bedroomed house could be classed as having a spare bedroom according to the rule changes planned. It means they could receive about £11 less in their Housing Benefit.

If you are affected you will have three options, you can:

  • move to smaller accommodation
  • remain in your home and meet the shortfall in rent
  • find employment and meet the total rent charge yourself. 

The Government estimate that the changes will affect 670,000 people across the UK.

if you would like talk to us about how we might help you call your Neighbourhood Team or our Income Team on tel: 01274 254777